Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Under Construction: My Writing



Okay so as you all know I've been studying in preparation to write my next novel. Taking the time to revisit some of the books I've previously read like:


HOOKED


WRITING THE BREAKOUT NOVEL


Adding other helpful writing books like:



THE FIRE IN FICTION


THE POWER OF POINT OF VIEW


CREATING CHARACTER EMOTIONS


Well these books have taught me so much over the past couple of weeks that I made the hard decision to dive back into revising UNDISTURBED. (They're not lying when they say a book is never finished) It's been a week and I've made major improvements. If you haven't picked up these books are don't have a stack of your own favorites, you're not growing as a writer. I have learned so much and I take that knowledge with me to my new stories. I am now confident that SOUL STONES will be my best work yet.


So this summer, put down your next installment of your favorite YA series, and stop stalking Query Shark trying to figure out "how to crack the query code." and take a little time out to do the best thing you could do for yourself as a writer and the amazing characters, whose stories you can't wait to share with the world. Study the craft of writing, apply it to your stories of the past, present, and future, and always, always, always leave room to learn more.

3 comments:

  1. It was a hard decision for me too, but the my decision has helped me strive more, and work hard at honing my craft everyday, and remember T your not alone. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly what I plan to do between finishing my first draft (hopefully by the end of this month) and revising. I have a few of these titles on my list to read and I'm excited to learn a ton about the craft of writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey T.

    I'm in love with craft books too! Just finished PLot and Structure by James Scott Bell.

    Just a note, I have a little trouble seeing the grey text on the white background.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I love comments.